International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 627, Viviparoides-a, viv-a
Stock number: BGS 627
Locus name: Viviparoides-a
Locus symbol: viv-a
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Viviparoides-5 = viv-5 (4, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Location in chromosome 2H (2); viv-a.5 is associated with SNP markers 2_0177 to 2_0528 (positions 63.96 to 116.78 cM) in 2H bins 05 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW896 (2).
Tillers of viv-a plants may remain vegetative and fail to produce reproductive structures. The apex of the tillers remains vegetative as the culm elongates. Occasionally a short, malformed spike is formed in a lateral position (1, 5). For the Bowman backcross-derived line for viv-a-.5, BW896, only a few tiller exhibit the typical viviparoides phenotype in most environments. BW896 plants were 5 to 20 cM shorter than Bowman and they lodged easily. Peduncle and awn lengths were slightly reduced and heading was delayed about six days. Kernels of BW896 were thinner, 3.5 vs. 4.0 mm, and weighed less, 4.2 vs. 5.6 mg. Grain production varied almost none to nearly 50% of that for Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
viv-a.5 (NGB 115364, GSHO 2498) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
viv-a.5 (NGB 115364, GSHO 2498, ) in Foma; viv-a.5 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2364); viv-a.5 in Bowman*4 (BW896, NGB 22329).
1. Bossinger, G., U. Lundqvist, W. Rohde, and F. Salamini. 1992. Genetics of plant development in barley. p. 989-1017. In L. Munck, K. Kirkegaard, and B. Jensen (eds.). Barley Genetics VI. Proc. Sixth Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Helsingborg, 1991. Munksgaard Int. Publ., Copenhagen.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendrarnin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J. D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:128.
U. Lundqvist and J. D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:227,