International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 85, Yellow streak 4, yst4
Stock number: BGS 85
Locus name: Yellow streak 4
Locus symbol: yst4
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 2HL (3); yst4.d is located near the vrs1 (six-rowed spike 1) locus (2), in 2H bin 07 near RFLP marker CDO537 (5). An incorrect seed lot was used for analysis of retained SNP markers in the Bowman backcross-derived line for yst4.d, BW927, by Druka et al. (1).
Plants have a yellow-green color with numerous, vertical yellow streaks in the leaves. The yellow-green color is retained until maturity, but the yellow streaks may be difficult to observe after heading. Plant vigor and height are reduced, heading is delayed, and seed yields are low (4). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for yst4.d, BW927, headed 3 to 5 days later than Bowman and were on average much shorter, 62 vs. 91 cm. Kernels were smaller and lighter, 36 vs. 58 mg. Grain yields of BW927 were 1/3 to1/2 of those for Bowman (4).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Glenn (CIho 15769) (2).
yst4.d (DWS1059, GSHO 2502) in Glenn (CIho 15769) (3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
yst4.d (GSHO 2502) in Glenn; yst4.d in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1922, BW927, NGB 22476).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Faue, A.C. 1987. Chemical mutagenesis as a breeding tool for barley. M.S. Thesis. North Dakota State Univ., Fargo.
3. Faue, A.C., A.E. Foster, and J.D. Franckowiak. 1989. Allelism testing of an induced yellow streak mutant with the three known yellow streak mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 19:15-16.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
5. Kleinhofs, A. 2002. Integrating molecular and morphological/physiological marker maps. Coordinator’s Report. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:152-159.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:123.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:210.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:76.