International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 585, Praematurum-i, mat-i
Stock number: BGS 585
Locus name: Praematurum-i
Locus symbol: mat-i
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Praematurum-37 = mat-37 (7).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 7HL (1); mat-i.37 is associated with SNP markers 1_0885 to 3_0593 (positions 192.14 to 198.70 cM) in 7H bins 11 to 12 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW514 (1).
Early heading mutants at the mat-i locus have a drastic increase in earliness (heading 6 days earlier than the parents) under field cultivation in Sweden (6, 7). When grown under controlled environmental conditions, mutants are photo- and thermoperiod sensitive and have a pronounced long-day response (5). Spikes of mutants are relatively short (7). The expression of earliness was relatively strong in BW514, the Bowman backcross-derived line for mat-i.37, was about 4 days earlier heading under long days and up to 15 days earlier under short days (2). Depend on heading dates, BW514 plants were 10 to 40% shorter than Bowman plants and grain yields were up to 50% lower (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (7).
mat-i.37 (NGB 110037, GSHO 1795), -i.76 (NGB 110076) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763), -i.303 (NGB 110303) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333), -i.742 (NGB 110742) in Kristina (NGB 14661, NGB 1500), -i.901 (NGB 116856), -i.914 (NGB 117445) in Bonus (5, 6, 7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
mat-i.37 (NGB 110037, GSHO 1795) in Bonus; mat-i.37 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2287); mat-i.37 in Bowman*7 (BW514, NGB 20742).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., I. Dormling, and U. Lundqvist. 1982. Gene, genotype and barley climatology. Biol. Zent. Bl. 101:763-782.
4. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
5. Lundqvist, U. 1991. Swedish mutation research in barley with plant breeding aspects. A historical review. p. 135-148. In Plant Mutation Breeding for Crop Improvement. Proc. Int. Symp. Vienna, 1990. Int. Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
6. Lundqvist, U. 1992. Coordinator's report: Earliness genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:127-129.
7. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:512.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:214.