International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 561, Erectoides-h, ert-h
Stock number: BGS 561
Locus name: Erectoides-h
Locus symbol: ert-h
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-25 = ert-25 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located likely in chromosome 5HL (1); ert-h.25 is associated with a large number of donor parent SNP markers in 5H bins 11 to 14, markers 1_1090 to 2_0536 (positions 203.85 to 271.24 cM), of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW310 (1).
Plants are semidwarf (about 3/4 normal height), and spike density is increased only slightly (5). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-h.25, BW310, headed 5 to 7 days later than Bowman. The number of kernels per spike for BW310 increased by 3 to 5, but rachis internodes were slightly shorter, 3.9 vs. 4.4 mm. Grain yields for BW310 were up to 20% lower than the Bowman yields (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus ( NGB14657, PI 189763) (3).
ert-h.25 (NGB 112626, GSHO 481) in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (3); ert-h.68 (NGB 112667) in Bonus (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-h.25 (NGB 112626, GSHO 481) in Bonus; ert-h.25 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2252, BW310, NGB 22106).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523530.
4. Hagberg, A., G. Persson, and A. Wiberg. 1963. Induced mutations in the improvement of self-pollinated crops. p. 105-124. In E. Åkerberg and A. Hagberg (eds.) Recent Plant Breeding Research. Svalöf 1946-1961. Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm.
5. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:487.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:189.