International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 448, Eceriferum-ye, cer-ye
Stock number: BGS 448
Locus name: Eceriferum-ye
Locus symbol: cer-ye
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosome 4H (1); cer-ye.267 is associated with SNP markers 2_1122 to 1_0569 (positions 47.80 to 78.18 cM) in 4H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW136 (1). Previously located in chromosome 5HL based on linkage drag with the raw1 (smooth awn 1) locus (3).
Surface wax coating on the leaf blade appears absent (wax code ++ ++ -) (5). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-ye.267, BW136, lack normal surface waxes on the leaf blades (2). BW136 plants were slightly shorter and later and had slightly lighter kernels in some trials (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (4).
cer-ye.267 (NGB 111154, GSHO 1538), -ye.582 (NGB 111470) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333, cer-ye.792 (NGB 111680) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (5); cer-ye.1103 (NGB 111991) in Kristina (NGB 1500, NGB 14661) (6); cer-ye.1395 (NGB 112283) in Bonus (7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-ye.267 (NGB 111154, GSHO 1538) in Foma; cer-ye.267 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2127); cer-ye.267 in Bowman*7 (BW136, NGB 20542).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1973. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants II. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:110-112.
6. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
7. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1982. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VI. Barley Genet. Newsl. 12:169-172.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:166.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:400.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:149.