International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 571, Erectoides-za, ert-za
Stock number: BGS 571
Locus name: Erectoides-za
Locus symbol: ert-za
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-102 = ert-102 (4).
Brachytic 7 = br7 (5).
Monofactorial recessive (1, 2).
Located in chromosome 5H (1); ert-za.102 is associated with SNP markers 1_0974 to 2_1244 (positions 41.99 to 93.00 cM) in 5H bins 03 to 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW330 (1).
Plants are semidwarf (3/4 normal height) and can be placed in the brachytic class of semidwarfs (3, 5). Peduncles are relatively short, the leaf blade attachment appears more erect than normal, and kernels are slightly rounded or globe-shaped (2). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-za.102, BW330, were 20 to 25% shorter than Bowman and their awns were 4 to 5 cm shorter, but BW330 had only slightly shorter rachis internodes. Kernels were slightly shorter and wider and kernel weights varied from 15% less to 10% more than those for Bowman. BW330 headed 2 days later than Bowman and its grain yields were about 30% lower (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (4).
ert-za.102 (NGB 112701, GSHO 501), -za.146 (NGB 112745) in Bonus ( NGB14657, PI 189763) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-za.102 (NGB 112701, GSHO 501) in Bonus; ert-za.102 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2261); ert-za.102 in Bowman*7 (BW330, NGB 22125).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
4. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
5. Tsuchiya, T. 1976. Allelism testing of genes between brachytic and erectoides mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:79-81.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:497.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:190.