International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 450, Eceriferum-yg, cer-yg
Stock number: BGS 450
Locus name: Eceriferum-yg
Locus symbol: cer-yg
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosomes 7HS (1); cer-yg.1014 is based on linkage drag with the ant1 (anthocyanin-less 1) locus (3); cer-yg.1014 is associated with SNP markers 1_0576 to 2_1270 (positions 54.30 to 93.97 cM) in 7H bins 05 to 06 and with SNP markers 2_1495 to 1_0754 (positions 160.37 to 190.87 cM) in 3H bins 11 to 12 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW138 (1).
Surface wax coating on the spike, leaf sheath, stem, and leaf blade appears absent (wax code - - -) (5). The Bowman backcross-derived line is semidwarf (3/4 normal), surface wax is present on the leaf blades (wax code - - ++), and surface wax appears absent on the nodes (2). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-yg.1014, BW138, were similar to Bowman, except they were slightly shorter and rachis internodes were slightly shorter (2).
Origin of mutant:
A diethyl sulfate induced mutant in Carlsberg II (NGB 5085, CIho 10114) (4).
cer-yg.1014 (NGB 111902, GSHO 1540) in Carlsberg II (NGB 5085, CIho 10114) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-yg.1014 (NGB 111902, GSHO 1540) in Carlsberg II; cer-yg.1014 in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 1839); cer-yg.1014 in Bowman*7 (BW138, NGB 20544).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1973. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants II. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:110-112.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:168.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:402.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:161.