International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 331, Erectoides-n, ert-n
Stock number: BGS 331
Locus name: Erectoides-n
Locus symbol: ert-n
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-51 = ert-51 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 8).
Located in chromosome 5HL (4, 6, 8); ert-n.51 is about 4.8 cM proximal from the cer-zj (eceriferum-zj) locus (7, 8); ert-n.51 is associated with SNP markers 1_0580 to 2_1244 (positions 54.27 to 91.0 cM) in 5H bins 03 to 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW318 (1). The ert-n locus was previously reported to be very close to the ert-g (erectoides-g) locus (9, 10), which is located in chromosome 1H.
Semicompact spikes occur because rachis internode length is reduced. Rachis internode length values vary from 1.9 to 2.4 mm (8). Mutant lines are about 3/4 normal height. The spike has enlarged lateral spikelets that have a pointed or awnletted tip, and plants show partial sterility not associated with a translocation. Spikes tend to have a whitish color at maturity (8). GA3 treatment of plants as the flag leaf emerges decreases spike density (11). In the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-n.51, BW318, plants produced few tillers and matured later than Bowman (2). BW318 plants were very sensitive in environmental conditions with heading dates from 2 to 9 days later than Bowman and grain yields ranged from very little to 1/3 of those for Bowman. BW318 plants were 10 to 25% shorter than Bowman, and the number of fertile spikelets increased by about two. The awns of BW318 were shorter 8 vs.11 cm .and rachis internode length averaged 3.9 vs. 4.4 mm. Kernels of BW318 were slightly longer and thinner than Bowman kernels. Kernel weights for BW318 ranged from equal to 40% lower and test weight at one site was 10% lower than that for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3).
ert-n.51 (NGB112650, GSHO 488) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3); ert-n.61 (NGB 112660), -n.63 (NGB 112662) in Bonus (4); ert-n.133 (NGB 112732), -n.135 (NGB 112734) in Bonus (8); ert-n.325 (NGB 112840), -n.419 (NGB 112935) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5); ert-n.409 (NGB 112925), -n.464 (NGB 112979) in Foma (8).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-n.51 (NGB 112650, GSHO 488) in Bonus; ert-n.51 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2107); ert-n.51 in Bowman*6 (BW318, NGB 22113).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523-530.
4. Hagberg, A., G. Persson, and A. Wiberg. 1963. Induced mutations in the improvement of self-pollinated crops. p. 105-124. In E. Åkerberg and A. Hagberg (eds.) Recent Plant Breeding Research. Svalöf 1946-1961. Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
6. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley I. Hereditas 62:25-96.
7. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1962. Linkage studies with the erectoides loci. Barley Newsl. 5:46-47.
8. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
9. Søgaard, B. 1974. Three-point tests on chromosome 1 and 7. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:70-73.
10. Søgaard, B. 1977. The localization of eceriferum loci in barley. IV. Three point tests of genes on chromosome 7 in barley. Carlsberg Res. Commun. 42:35-43.
11. Stoy, V., and A. Hagberg. 1967. Effects of growth regulators on ear density mutants in barley. Hereditas 58:359-384.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:279.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:120-121.