International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 215, Desynapsis 6, des6
Stock number: BGS 215
Locus name: Desynapsis 6
Locus symbol: des6
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (5, 6).
Located in chromosome 1HL (1, 3) or 5HL (1); des6.i is associated with SNP markers 2_0603 to 2_0772 (positions 199.4 to 205.07 cM) in 1H bins 14 to 15 and with SNP markers 2_0127 to 2_0934 (positions 189.10 to 254.07 cM) in 5H bins 10 to 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW244 (1); des6.o is associated with SNP markers 2_0383 to 2_0772 (positions 192.78 to 205.07 cM) in 1H bins 13 to 15 and with SNP markers 2_0127 to 2_1355 (positions 189.10 to 235.0 cM) in 5H bins 10 to 12 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW245 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene. The degree of desynapsis is 7.9 ± 2.1 ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 14 univalents (d = 14). Many univalents split longitudinally during anaphase I. Lagging chromosomes and micronuclei are observed frequently at telophase I. Microspore quartets contain an average of 3.3 micronuclei per quartet with a range of 0 to 12. Ovule fertility is about 16%, and about 22% of the selfed seeds are trisomics (3). Compared to Bowman plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des6.i, BW244, were slightly shorter. Kernels of BW244 were on average slightly lighter. Grain yields of BW244 were 1/5 to 1/4 those of Bowman (3). Seed set for BW244 and BW245 was 15 to 20% when grown under greenhouse conditions (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (5, 6).
des6.i (GSHO 597) in Betzes (PI 129430) (5, 6); des6.m in OAC 21 (CIho 1740), des6.o in Betzes (4, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des6.i (GSHO 597) in Betzes; des6.i in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (BW244, NGB 22070); des6.o in Bowman*5 (BW245, NGB 22071).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M. 1973. Desynaptic mutants in Betzes barley. M.S. Thesis. Univ. of Arizona, Tucson.
4. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1973. Coordinator's report. Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:91.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1971. Desynaptic genes in Betzes barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:38.
6. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano, R.T. Ramage, and R.F. Eslick. 1973. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:129.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:216.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:106-107.