International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 544, Intermedium spike-h, int-h
Stock number: BGS 544
Locus name: Intermedium spike-h
Locus symbol: int-h
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 5H (1); int-h.42 is associated with SNP markers 2_1324 to 2_1075 (positions 47.4 to 104.7 cM) in 5H bins 02 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW425 (1).
Lateral spikelets are enlarged and have an inconspicuously pointed apex, but they do not set seed. Induced mutants show early heading and have an elongated basal rachis internode. The spike appears lax with shortened rachis internodes at the base (3). The Bowman backcross-derived line is slightly shorter (5/6 normal) and produces extra spikelets (up to five fertile ones) at several rachis nodes in the lower half of the spike. Some double and occasionally triple kernels are formed likely caused by presence of more than one floret in certain spikelets (2). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for int-h.42, BW425, varied across test locations from slightly taller than Bowman to 20% shorter. Kernels per spike ranged from 4 less to 6 more. Kernels of BW425 were slightly shorter and thinner than Bowman kernels and weighed about 20% less, 47 vs. 58 mg. Grain yields of BW425 were 1/2 to 2/3 of those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Kristina (NGB14661, NGB 1500) (3, 5).
int-h.42 (NGB 115460, GSHO 1768) , -h.43 (NGB 115461), -h.44 (NGB 115462) in Kristina (NGB14661, NGB 1500) (3, 5); int-h.83 (NGB 115501) in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
int-h.42 (NGB 115460, GSHO 1768) in Kristina; int-h.42 in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 2271); int-h.42 in Bowman*6 (BW425, NGB 20658).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., and U. Lundqvist. 1980. Hexastichon and intermedium mutants in barley. Hereditas 92:229-236.
4. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
5. Lundqvist, U., and A. Lundqvist. 1988. Induced intermedium mutants in barley: origin, morphology and inheritance. Hereditas 108:13-26.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:470.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:179.