International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 543, Intermedium spike-f, int-f
Stock number: BGS 543
Locus name: Intermedium spike-f
Locus symbol: int-f
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (3, 4).
Located in chromosome 2HS or 3HL (1); int-f.19 is associated with SNP markers 2_0929 to 2_1286 (positions 86.79 to 96.47 cM) in 2H bin 07 and with SNP markers 1_0754 to 1_1141 (positions 190.87 to 197.25 cM) in 3H bin 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW424 (1).
The spike appears six-rowed, but the lateral spikelets are much smaller, less than half the size of the central spikelets. Lateral spikelets are pointed and often have short awns. Seed set occurs in the lateral spikelets in the upper third of the spike. The base of the spike has shortened rachis internodes and appears erectoides-like (5). Average kernels of the Bowman backcross-derived line for int-f.19, BW424, were slightly smaller than Bowman kernels and weighed 15 to 20% less, 50 vs. 58 mg. Grain yields of BW424 were variable ranging from 1/3 to 3/4 of the Bowman yields (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
int-f.19 (NGB 115437, GSHO 1767) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
int-f.19 (NGB 115437, GSHO 1767) in Foma; int-f.19 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2270); int-f.19 in Bowman*6 (BW424, NGB 20657).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Gustafsson, Å., and U. Lundqvist. 1980. Hexastichon and intermedium mutants in barley. Hereditas 92:229-236.
5. Lundqvist, U., and A. Lundqvist. 1988. Induced intermedium mutants in barley: origin, morphology and inheritance. Hereditas 108:13-26.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:469.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:178.