International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 104, Yellow streak 1, yst1
Stock number: BGS 104
Locus name: Yellow streak 1
Locus symbol: yst1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Yellow stripe = tys (4).
Yellow streak = yst (5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 4).
Located in chromosome 3HS (3, 4, 6); yst1.a is about 2.9 cM proximal from the zeb1 (zebra stripe 1) locus (3); yst1.a is 7.6 cM proximal from the uzu1 (uzu 1) locus (3); yst1.a is associated with SNP markers 2_0410 to 2_1511 (positions 64.85 to 92.56 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW924 (1).
Longitudinal yellow stripes appear on seedling leaves and persist until the preripening stage. In some crosses and under certain environmental conditions, the most heavily striped F2 plants fail to reach maturity. There is no evidence for a cytoplasmic association in the inheritance patterns (4). Expression of the yst1.a allele in the Bowman backcross-derived line, BW924, is reduced to very narrow streaks that occur infrequently (2). Other deviations from the Bowman phenotype were not observed (2).
Origin of mutant:
A DDT induced mutant in Gateway (CIho 10072) (4).
yst1.a (GSHO 1140) in Gateway (CIho 10072) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
yst1.a (GSHO 1140) in Gateway; yst1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1959, BW924, NGB 22353).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Kasha, K.J., and C.R. Burnham. 1965. The location of interchange breakpoints in barley. I. Linkage studies and map orientation. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 7:62-77.
4. Kasha, K.J., and G.W.R. Walker. 1960. Several recent barley mutants and their linkages. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 2:397-415.
5. Robertson, D.W. 1971. Recent information of linkage and chromosome mapping. pp. 220-242. In R.A. Nilan (ed.) Barley Genetics II. Proc. Second Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Pullman, WA, 1969. Washington State Univ. Press, Pullman.
6. Singh, R.J., and T. Tsuchiya. 1974. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:66-69.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:126.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:138.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2012. Barley Genet. Newsl. 42:178.