International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 553, Breviaristatum-k, ari-k
Stock number: BGS 553
Locus name: Breviaristatum-k
Locus symbol: ari-k
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Breviaristatum-504 = ari-504 (3, 4).
Dearistatum-k = ari-k (3, 6).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Location in chromosome 3H (1); ari-k.280 is associated with SNP markers 1_0672 to 2_0063 (positions 58.66 to 133.92 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 08 of the Bowman backcrossed-derived line BW049 (1).
Awns often are normal in length, but they are dehiscent (dearistatum) at maturity. Variability in awn length is observed over environments and awns seem thinner than normal (4). Awns of plants grown in fall greenhouse nurseries at Fargo, North Dakota, USA, are very short and thread-like (2). The awns of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ari-k, BW049, extend about 9 cm beyond the tip of the spike while awns of Bowman extend about 12 cm. The rachis internodes of BW049 were slightly longer. Differences between BW049 and Bowman for kernel size and weight and for grain yield were not observed (2).
Origin of mutant:
A gamma-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3).
ari-k.501 (NGB 116330, GSHO 1659), -k.502 (NGB 116331), -k.503 (NGB 116332), -k.504 (NGB 116333) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ari-k.504 (NGB 116330, GSHO 1659) in Bonus; ari-k.504 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2160); ari-k.504 in Bowman*5 (BW049, NGB 20457).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Kucera, J., U. Lundqvist, and Å. Gustafsson. 1975. Inheritance of breviaristatum mutants in barley. Hereditas 80:263-278.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
6. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley I. Hereditas 62:25-96.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet Newsl. 26:479.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:187.