International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 552, Breviaristatum-j, ari-j
Stock number: BGS 552
Locus name: Breviaristatum-j
Locus symbol: ari-j
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Breviaristatum-32 = ari-32 (3, 4).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Chromosome location is unknown (1); ari-j.32 is not associated with any SNP markers in the Bowman backcross-derived line BW048 (1).
Plants are semidwarf (3/4 of normal culm length) and awns are about 5/6 normal length. The peduncle is short and coiled or kinked, and as a result the spike rarely emerges above the flag leaf (4). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ari-j.32, BW048, headed 3 to 4 days later than Bowman. BW048 plants and their peduncles were about 2/3 normal length and awns were about 2 cm shorter. Compared to Bowman, kernels of BW048 were shorter and thinner and weighed less, 47 vs. 59 mg. Grain yields for BW048 were 1/2 to 2/3 of those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (4).
ari-j.32 (NGB 115881, GSHO 1658) in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (4); ari-j.101 (NGB 115914) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (3); ari-j.167 (NGB 115977) in Foma (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ari-j.32 (NGB 115881, GSHO 1658) in Bonus; ari-j.32 in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 2159); ari-j.32 in Bowman*8 (BW048, NGB 20456).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Kucera, J., U. Lundqvist, and Å. Gustafsson. 1975. Inheritance of breviaristatum mutants in barley. Hereditas 80:263-278.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:478.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:186.