International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 313, Chlorina seedling 6, fch6
Stock number: BGS 313
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 6
Locus symbol: fch6
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Yellow virescent = yv (8).
Chlorina seedling 6 = f6 (2).
Monofactorial recessive (8).
Located in chromosome 5HL (2, 5, 7, 8); fch6.g is over 36.2 cM proximal from the srh1 (short rachilla hair 1) locus (2); fch6.g is associated with SNP markers 1_0621 to 2_1275 (positions 56.4 to 104.7 cM) in 5H bins 03 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW362 (1).
Seedlings appear yellowish-white initially, but green pigments develop near the leaf tip within one week. Green pigmentation is not as intense as in normal seedlings (8). The chlorophyll content is 15% of normal in 3-week old seedlings, and the free amino acid content is increased by 75% or more (4). Plants do mature in the field, but development is much delayed (3). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for fch6.g, BW362, showed variable responses to environment. Heading dates of BW362 ranged from 2 to 17 days later than Bowman. Plant height varied from 20% shorter to 20% taller and the average number of kernels per spike varied 16 to 27 compared with 19 to 24 for Bowman. Kernels of BW362 were slightly shorter and narrower and they weighed 10 to 15% less than those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW362 ranged from 20 to 40% lower than Bowman yields (3).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Himalaya (CIho 1312) (8).
fch6.g (GBC380, GSHO 1390) in Himalaya (CIho 1312) (6, 8).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch6.g (GSHO 1390) in Himalaya; fch6.g in GBC681 was used for linkage studies (2); fch6.g in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2097, BW362, NGB 20601).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Falk, K.C., and K.J. Kasha. 1983. Linkage of the f6 chlorina mutant on chromosome 7. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:50-51.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Jain, M.L. 1966. Biochemical definition of yellow-virescent and light-green suppressor mutations in barley. Genetics 54:813-818. 5. Kasha, K.J. 1977. Coordinator's report: Chromosome 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:89-90.
6. Kasha, K.J., D.E. Falk, and A. Ho-Tsai. 1978. Linkage data with genes on chromosome 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:61-65.
7. Shahla, A., and T. Tsuchiya. 1984. Telotrisomic analysis in Triplo 7S in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:52-53.
8. Tuleen, N.A., L.A. Synder, R.S. Caldecott, and V.S. Haitt. 1968. Genetic investigation of suppressors of a chloroplast mutation in Hordeum vulgare. Genetics 59:45-55.
K.C. Falk. 1983. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:111.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:262.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:116-117.