International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 436, Eceriferum-zs, cer-zs
Stock number: BGS 436
Locus name: Eceriferum-zs
Locus symbol: cer-zs
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Location is unknown; large chromosomal segments from the donor parent were retained in chromosomes 2H, 3H, and 5H in the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-zs.467, BW174 (1).
Surface wax coating on the spike is reduced (wax code + ++ ++), maturity is delayed, and vigor is somewhat reduced (4). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-zs.467, BW174, headed about three days later and had 2 to 5 more kernels per spike. Kernel weights for BW174 averaged 10% less than those for Bowman. The grain yields for BW174 were about 2/3 of those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (3).
cer-zs.467 (NGB 111355, GSHO 1526), -zs.474 (NGB 111362), -zs.475 (NGB 111363) in Foma (CIho 11333, NGB 14659) (4); cer-zs.594 (NGB 111482) in Foma (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-zs.467 (NGB 111355, GSHO 1526) in Foma; cer-zs.467 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2204, BW174, NGB 22006).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:154.
U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:388.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:156.