International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 120, Zebra stripe 1, zeb1
Stock number: BGS 120
Locus name: Zebra stripe 1
Locus symbol: zeb1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Zebra stripe = zb (1, 6).
Monofactorial recessive (1).
Located in chromosome 3HL (1, 5, 6); zeb1.a is about 7.0 cM proximal from the uzu1 (uzu 1) locus (4); zeb1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_0444 to 1_0312 (positions 135.80 to 173.82 cM) in 3H bins 08 to 10 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW930 (2).
Seedlings may have pale green to yellow bands across the leaf blades when germinated under cold conditions in the field (1). Cold room studies show that development of the mutant phenotype in seedlings can be induced by 10 to 15 days of cold treatment (0° to 1°C) if initiated within one day after wetting of the seed (7). Alternating cold and warm temperatures in the field induce diagnostic symptoms (7). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for zeb1.a, BW930, were slightly taller and kernels weighed slightly more. Grain yields of BW930 and Bowman were similar (3).
Origin of mutant:
A radiation induced mutant in Mars (CIho 7015) (1).
zeb1.a (C3-1, GSHO 1279) in Mars (CIho 7015) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
zeb1.a (GSHO 1279) in Mars; zeb1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 1964); zeb1.a in Bowman*4 (BW930, NGB 22359).
1. Burnham, C.R. 1958. New linkages found. Barley Newsl. 1:44-47.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Kasha, K.J., and C.R. Burnham. 1965. The location of interchange breakpoints in barley. I. Linkage studies and map orientation. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 7:62-77.
5. Kasha, K.J., and G.W.R. Walker. 1960. Several recent barley mutants and their linkages. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 2:397-415.
6. Singh, R.J., and T. Tsuchiya. 1974. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:66-69.
7. Tsuchiya T., and R.J. Singh. 1974. Identification of zebra (zb) stripe character at early seedling stage. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:96-97.
T. Tsuchiya. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:100.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:155.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:86.