International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 125, Lazy dwarf 1, lzd1
Stock number: BGS 125
Locus name: Lazy dwarf 1
Locus symbol: lzd1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Dwarf 4 = dw4 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 6).
Located in chromosome 3H (5, 6); lzd1.a is over 16.3 cM distal from the alm1 (albino lemma 1) locus (5, 6); lzd1.a is associated with SNP markers 2_0356 to 2_1120 (positions 72.36 to 98.41 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW499 (1).
Plants have a very procumbent growth habit prior to the boot stage. Plants are 3/4 normal height, maturity is delayed, and seedlings are very responsive to gibberellic acid (4, 6). Leaf blades of the Bowman backcross-derived line for lzd1.a, BW499, were about 2/3 the length of those of Bowman. BW499 plants headed 3 to 4 days later than Bowman under long days, but up to 10 days later under short-day conditions (2). The spike of BW499 often had 2 to 3 more kernels than Bowman, plants were 5 to 10% shorter, and kernels had slight smaller dimensions and weighed about 10% less, 5.0 vs. 5.6 mg. The grain yields of BW499 were 2/3 to 3/4 those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (3).
lzd1.a (OUM005, GSHO 1787) in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (4, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
lzd1.a (GSHO 1787) in Akashinriki; lzd1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*8 (GSHO 1938, BW499, NGB 20727).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Konishi, T. 1970. Studies on EMS-induced mutation in barley III. Nogaku Kenkyu 53:141-152.
4. Konishi, T. 1975. Characteristics and inheritance of EMS-induced mutants in barley. Nogaku Kenkyu 55:53-56.
5. Konishi, T., J. Hayashi, I. Moriya, and R. Takahashi. 1984. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. VII. Location of six new mutant genes on chromosome 3. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 18:251-264.
6. Takahashi, R., J. Hayashi, T. Konishi, and I. Moriya. 1975. Linkage analysis of barley mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:56-60.
T. Konishi and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:161.
J.D. Franckowiak. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:87.