International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 224, Erectoides-b, ert-b
Stock number: BGS 224
Locus name: Erectoides-b
Locus symbol: ert-b
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-2 = ert-2 (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 4).
Located in chromosome 1HL (9, 10, 11, 12, 13); ert-b.2 is slightly distal from the cer-e (eceriferum-e) locus (6, 13, 14); errt-b.2 is about 19.3 cM proximal from the nec1 (necrotic leaf spot 1) locus (7); ert-b.2 is associated with SNP markers 1_0259 to 1_0520 (positions 70.78 to 82.35 cM) in 1H bins 07 - 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW304 (1), likely in 1H bin 08.
Spikes have a compact appearance caused by a reduction in rachis internode length, with rachis internode length values from 1.9 to 2.3 mm. Culms are shorter than those of parental cultivars (12). GA3 treatment of plants as the flag leaf emerges decreased spike density (15). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-b.2 (BW304) had slightly shortened peduncles and were about 5/6 of normal height. Rachis internode lengths were 3.5 vs. 4.4 mm. Kernels were slightly shorter and wider, and weights were about 10% higher. Grain yields were about 3/4 of normal (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Gull (NGB 1480, CIho 1145, GSHO 466) (3, 4, 5).
ert-b.2 (NGB 112606, GSHO 470), -b.4 (NGB 112607), -b.5 (NGB 112608), -b.9 (NGB 112611) in Gull (NGB 1480, CIho 1145, GSHO 466) (4); ert-b.128 (NGB 112727), -b.151 (NGB 112750) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (12); ert-b.174 (NGB 112775) in Bonus, -b.333 (NGB 112848) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (8); ert-b.354 (NGB 112870), -b.394 (NGB 112911) in Foma (12).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-b.2 (NGB 112606, GSHO 470) in Gull; ert-b.2 in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*7 (GSHO 2049, BW304, NGB 20586).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å. 1947. Mutations in agricultural plants. Hereditas 33:1-100.
4. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523-530.
5. Hagberg, A., N. Nybom, and Å. Gustafsson. 1952. Allelism of erectoides mutations in barley. Hereditas 38:510-512.
6. Jensen, J. 1974. Coordinator's report: Chromosome 5. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:102-106.
7. Jensen. J. 1981. Location of the high-lysine locus Lys4d on barley chromosome 5. Barley Genet. Newsl. 11:45-47.
8. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
9. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley I. Hereditas 62:25-96.
10. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley II. Hereditas 63:1-28.
11. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1965. Localization of nine induced mutations in the barley chromosomes. Barley Newsl. 8:52-54.
12. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
13. Søgaard, B. 1971. Linkage studies on eceriferum mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:41-47.
14. Søgaard, B. 1973. Continued linkage studies on eceriferum mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:57-61.
15. Stoy, V., and A. Hagberg. 1967. Effects of growth regulators on ear density mutants in barley. Hereditas 58:359-384.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:222.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:74-75.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:107-108.