International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 257, Smooth awn 5, raw5
Stock number: BGS 257
Locus name: Smooth awn 5
Locus symbol: raw5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Smooth awn e = r,,e (3).
Smooth awn 2 = r2 (3).
Smooth awn 5 = r5 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 6HL (3, 4); raw5.e is over 31.5 cM distal from the rob1 (orange lemma 1) locus (3); raw5.e is associated with SNP markers 2_0651 to 1_0377 (positions 89.76 to 91.91 cM) in 6H bin 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW664 (1), likely in 6H bin 06.
Plants have fewer stigma hairs and seed set is reduced, but more barbs developed on the central vein of the awn than in raw1.a plants (4). The Bowman backcross-derived line contains both of raw1.a and raw5.e genes for smooth awn. It has very smooth awns and very few stigma hairs, and seed set is often less than 10%. Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for raw5.e, BW664, were about 15% shorter. Selfed seed set was very low in field plots and rare in the greenhouse (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (3).
raw5.e (OUM195, GSHO 771) in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (3, 4); raw5.e plus rob1.a in GSHO 785 (from T. Konishi).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
raw5.e (GSHO 771) in Akashinriki; raw5.e in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2085, BW664, NGB 22472).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Konishi, T. 1971. A new smooth awn gene on chromosome 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:25-26.
4. Konishi, T. 1975. [Characteristics and inheritance of EMS-induced mutants.] Nogaku Kenkyu 55:53-66. [In Japanese.].
5. Konishi, T. 1978. New linkage data on chromosome six of barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:71-72.
T. Konishi. 1976. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:131.
T. Konishi and J. D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:238.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:112.