International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 18, Chlorina seedling 5, fch5
Stock number: BGS 18
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 5
Locus symbol: fch5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina seedling 5 = f5 (6).
Yellow viable = yv2 (6).
Monofactorial recessive (6).
Located in chromosome 7HS (2, 5, 6); fch5.f is proximal from the brh1 (brachytic 1) locus (2); fch5.f is about 25.9 cM proximal from the Rpg1 (reaction to Puccinia graminis 1) locus (4); fch5.f is associated with SNP markers 1_0965 to 1_0451 (positions 38.08 to 41.79 cM) in 7H bin 03 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW361 (1), likely in 7H bin 03.
Seedlings are pale yellow to ivory in color at emergence and remain this color until they are nearly mature (6). Seedlings were relatively weak and rarely survived to maturity in the field at Fargo, North Dakota, USA; however, in the greenhouse they gradually became darker green and produced late-maturing plants (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Gateway (CIho 10072) (6).
fch5.f (GSHO 1215, Alb Acc 328) in Gateway (CLho 10072) (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch5.f in Gateway (GSHO 1215); fch5.f in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 1827); fch5.f in Bowman*7 (BW361, NGB 20600).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Fedak, G., T. Tsuchiya, and S.B. Helgason. 1972. Use of monotelotrisomics for linkage mapping in barley. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 14:949-957.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Jin, Y., B.J. Steffenson, and J.D. Franckowiak. 1993. Linkage between the Rpg1 gene for stem rust resistance and the f5 locus on barley chromosome 1. Crop Sci. 33:642-643.
5. Tsuchiya, T. 1972. Cytogenetics of telotrisomics in barley. Barley Genet.Newsl. 2:93-98.
6. Walker, G.W.R., J. Dietrich, R. Miller, and K. Kasha. 1963. Recent barley mutants and their linkages II. Genetic data for further mutants. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 5:200-219.
T.E. Haus. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:99.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:64.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:56.