International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 100, Slender dwarf 4, sld4
Stock number: BGS 100
Locus name: Slender dwarf 4
Locus symbol: sld4
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Slender dwarf d = sld.d (3).
Monofactorial recessive (6. 7).
Located in chromosome 2HS (6, 7); sld4.d is associated with SNP markers 3_1169 to 1_0498 (positions 48.40 to 81.4318 cM) in 2H bins 04 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW864 (1), likely in 2H bin 06. Previously located in chromosome 7HS (5); near AFLP marker E 4134-2 in subgroup 6 of the Proctor/Nudinka map (5).
Plants with the sld4.d gene have reduced vigor and are light green in color during early stages of growth (7). Plants in the Bowman derived line for the sld4.d mutant, BW864, are apparently very environmentally sensitive. Plants varied from less than 1/2 to 3/4 of normal height and heading was delayed over 10 days in certain environments. The number of fertile spikelets per spike varied from 2/3 normal to near normal. Depending on the delay in heading, kernels varied from very thin to near normal. Grain yield of the Bowman backcross-derived line ranged from very low to nearly normal (2).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Two-row Glacier (CIho 16615) (6). (Glacier is available as CIho 6976.)
sld4.d (80-T-5899-2-13, DWS1368, GSHO 2479) in Two-row Glacier (CIho 16615) (3, 4, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
sld4.d (GSHO 2479) in Two-row Glacier; sld4.d in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (GSHO 1880; sld4.d in Bowman*7 (BW864, NGB 22301).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1999. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 29:74-79.
4. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
5. Pozzi, C., D. di Pietro, G. Halas, C. Roig, and F. Salamini. 2003. Integration of a barley (Hordeum vulgare) molecular linkage map with the position of genetic loci hosting 29 developmental mutants. Heredity 90:390-396.
6. Ramage, R.T., and P. Curtis. 1981. A light green, dwarf mutant located on chromosome 2. Barley Genet. Newsl. 11:37-38.
7. Ramage, R.T., and R.A. Ronstadt-Smith. 1983. Location of a light green dwarf mutant on chromosome 2. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:62-64.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:89.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:218.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:72-73.