International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 462, Yellow streak 3, yst3
Stock number: BGS 462
Locus name: Yellow streak 3
Locus symbol: yst3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Yellow streak c = yst,,c (4).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 4).
Located in chromosome 3HS (3); yst3.c is linked to the btr2 (non-brittle rachis 2) locus based on linkage drag (3); trisomic analyses of the yst3 locus have not been successful (5, 6, 7); yst3.c is associated with SNP markers 2_1101 to 2_0704 (positions 74.51 to 98.41 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW926 (1).
Yellow streaks of variable width and number develop in the leaves, stems, and spikes of homozygous plants. Some plants are almost entirely yellow, similar to chlorina plants. Penetrance is 100%, but expressivity is highly variable and finding streaks may require careful observation. Colder environments increase the number and width of the yellow streaks (2). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for yst3.c, BW926, headed 3 to 4 days later than Bowman. Spikes had about 3 more kernels and kernel weight were about 10% lower, 48 vs. 55 mg. The grain yields for BW926 were 40 to 60% of the Bowman yields (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Lion (CIho 923) (4).
yst3.c (GSHO 48) in Lion (CIho 923) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
yst3.c (GSHO 48) in Lion; yst3.c in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 1939); yst3.c in Bowman*7 (BW926, NGB 22355).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Singh, R.J., and T. Tsuchiya. 1973. Allelism testing among three yellow streak mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:54-55.
5. Tsuchiya, T., and J.V. Alanko. 1976. Genetic studies of two mutations by means of primary trisomic analysis. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:84-85.
6. Tsuchiya, T., and A. Hang. 1979. Telotrisomic analysis of yst3 and i in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:106-108.
7. Tsuchiya, T., and A. Shahla. 1982. Primary trisomic analysis of the gene yst3 in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 12:31-32.
Tsuchiya, T. 1984. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:99.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:409.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:163.