International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 108, Albino lemma 1, alm1
Stock number: BGS 108
Locus name: Albino lemma 1
Locus symbol: alm1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Albino lemma = al (13).
Eburatum = ebu-a (5).
White husk = wh (7).
Monofactorial recessive (13).
Located in chromosome 3HS (13); alm1.a is about 16.5 cM distal from the uzu1 (uzu 1) locus (3, 9, 11, 12, 13); alm1.a is about 4.8 cM proximal from RFLP marker MWG844B in 3H bin 04 (1); alm1.a is associated with SNP markers 2_1402 to 1_0628 (positions 78.82 to 135.80 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW011 (2), the alm1.f (wh) mutant was mapped 0.27 proximal from Bmag508A and 0.34 cM distal from Bmac67 (7), in 3H bin 05.
The lemma and palea are white in color and mostly devoid of chlorophyll, but they terminate into green tips with green awns. The basal part of lower leaf sheaths and stem nodes are devoid of chlorophyll. Ligules and joints between the leaf sheath and blade are white in color (13, 14). Plant vigor was reduced slightly and heading was delayed by 2 to 4 days in the Bowman backcross-derived line for alm1.a, BW011 (4). Kernels of BW011 were thin and weighted nearly 20% less, 4.6 vs. 5.6 mg, than those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW011 were 1/2 to 3/4 those of Bowman (4). Based on a transmission electron microscopy examination, the alm1.f (wh) mutant exhibited abnormal chloroplast development (7).
Origin of mutant:
Spontaneous occurrence in an unknown cultivar (Russia 82) (OUU086, NSL 43389) (12).
alm1.a (GSHO 270) in Russia 82 (OUU086, NSL 43389) (13); alm1.b in Liberty (CIho 9549) (3); alm1.c (Mut 966/61) in Proctor (PI 280420) (6); ebu-a.1 (NGB 115236), -a.2 (NGB 115237), -a.3 (NGB 115238) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5, 14); ebu-a.4 (NGB 115239), -a.5 (NGB 115240) in Foma (10); alm1.d (γ06-03, GSHO 3682) and alm1.e (FN530, GSHO 3683) in Morex (CIho 15773) may be an alleles based on phenotypic similarity (8); alm1.f (white husk = wh, and likely an alm1 allele) was isolated in Supi 3 (Kinuyu Taka/Kanto Nijo 25//Hu 94-043) (7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
alm1.a (GSHO 270) in Russia 82; alm1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*8 (GSHO 1953, BW011, NGB 20419).
1. Costa, J.M., A. Corey, M. Hayes, C. Jobet, A. Kleinhofs, A. Kopisch-Obusch, S.F. Kramer, D. Kudrna, M. Li, O. Piera-Lizaragu, K. Sato, P. Szues, T. Toojinda, M.I. Vales, and R.I. Wolfe. 2001. Molecular mapping of the Oregon Wolfe Barleys: a phenotypically polymorphic doubled-haploid population. Theor. Appl. Genet. 103:415-424.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Eslick, R.F., W.L. McProud. 1974. Positioning of the male sterile 5 (msg5) on chromosome 3. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:16-23.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
5. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
6. Häuser, H., and G. Fischbeck. 1972. Translocations and genetic analysis of other mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:28-29.
7. Hua, W., X.-Q. Zhang, J. Zhu, Y. Shang, J. Wang, Q. Jia, Q. Zhang, J. Yang, and C. Li. 2016. Identification and fine mapping of a white husk gene in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). PLoS ONE 11(3):e0152128. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0152128.
8. Kleinhofs, A. (Unpublished).
9. Konishi, T., J. Hayashi, I. Moriya, and R. Takahashi. 1984. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. VII. Location of six new mutant genes on chromosome 3. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 18:251-264.
10. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
11. Moriya, I., and R. Takahashi. 1980. Linkage studies of three barley mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:47-51.
12. Nonaka, S. 1973. A new type of cultivar, Mitake, with very few in number, but thick and stiff culms. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:45-47.
13. Takahashi, R., and J. Hayashi. 1959. Linkage study of albino lemma character in barley. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 11:132-140.
14. Tsuchiya, T. 1973. Allelism testing between established marker stocks and Swedish mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:67-68.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:130.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:111.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:143.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:222-223.
J.D. Franckowiak and A. Kleinhofs. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:76-77.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2016. Barley Genet. Newsl. 46:61-62.