International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 109, Yellow streak 2, yst2
Stock number: BGS 109
Locus name: Yellow streak 2
Locus symbol: yst2
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 3HS (3, 4, 5); yst2.b is about 0.9 cM distal from the alm1 (albino lemma 1) locus (4); yst2.b is associated with SNP markers 2_1402 to 1_1911 (positions 76.82 to 98.41 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 06 of Bowman backcross-derived line BW925 (1); likely in 3H bin 05.
When grown at low temperatures, seedlings develop numerous wide yellow streaks in the seedling leaves. Exposure to 3°C for two weeks after sowing induces distinct streaks in the first and second leaves. As temperatures rise, newly developed leaves have only very fine yellow streaks (4). These streaks persist until the plant nears maturity. As plants of the original yst2.b stock develop, they have a yellow-green color, show delayed maturation, and have low seed yields (2). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for yst2.b, BW925, were morphologically similar. Kernels of BW925 were similar in size and weight to those of Bowman when grown in non-stressed environments. Grain yields and test weights of BW925 were equal to or slightly lower than those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in the F5 generation of the cross Kuromugi 148 (OUJ646)/ Mensury C (OUJ732) (4).
yst2.b (GSHO 570) in Kuromugi 148/Mensury C (OUJ073) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
yst2.b (GSHO 570) in Kuromugi 148/Mensury C (OUJ073); yst2.b in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1952, BW925, NGB 22354).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Singh, R.J., and T. Tsuchiya. 1974. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:66-69.
4. Takahashi, R., and I. Moriya. 1969. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. IV. Linkages of four variegated mutants. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 15:35-46.
5. Tsuchiya, T., and R.J. Singh. 1973. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:75-78.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:131.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:144.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:81.