International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 593, Awned palea 1, adp1
Stock number: BGS 593
Locus name: Awned palea 1
Locus symbol: adp1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Awned palea = adp (1).
Monofactorial recessive (1, 4).
Located in chromosome 3HL (4); adp1.a is about 5.8 cM distal from AFLP marker E3634-8 in subgroup 27 of the Proctor/Nudinka map (4); adp1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_1016 to 1_1319 (positions 90.67 to 107.40 cM) in 3H bins 06 to 07 and with SNP markers 2_1348 to 1_1503 (positions 135.8 to 173.82 cM) in 3H bins 08 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW010 (2).
This mutant was isolated as a partially female sterile plant with abnormal spikes. The palea is elongated to form two awns (4), which are derived from two fused bracts that form from the palea (5). Pistils are often transformed into leafy buds and result in low female fertility and greatly reduced seed set (1). Two of the anthers appear normal and the third is deformed to some extent. Pollen fertility is good (1). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for adp1.a, BW010, compared to Bowman plants produced spikes with slightly longer rachis internodes. Kernels BW010 were slightly thinner and weighted 30% less. Grain yields of BW010 were 5 to 15% of the Bowman yields (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in an inbred line (1).
adp1.a (GSHO 1618) in an unknown inbred line (1).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
adp1.a in a selection, with the eog1.a (elongated outer glume 1) gene from Svalöfs Guldkorn 91 [AHOR 226, a mutant of Gull (CIho 1145, GSHO 466)] (1), crossed to the unknown line (GSHO 1618); adp1.a in Bowman*5 (GSHO 1950; BW010, NGB 20418).
1. Ahokas, H. 1977. A mutant of barley: Awned palea. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:8-10.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Pozzi, C., D. di Pietro, G. Halas, C. Roig, and F. Salamini. 2003. Integration of a barley (Hordeum vulgare) molecular linkage map with the position of genetic loci hosting 29 developmental mutants. Heredity 90:390-396.
5. Williams, R.F. 1975. The Shoot Apex and Leaf Growth. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1998. Barley Genet. Newsl. 28:34.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:285.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:158.