International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 168, Globosum-a, glo-a
Stock number: BGS 168
Locus name: Globosum-a
Locus symbol: glo-a
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (2).
Located in chromosome 4H (2, 5). glo-a.1003 is associated with chromosome 4H based on crosses to a translocation set (2, 5); glo-a.1003 is associated with SNP markers 3_0554 and 1_0510 (positions 140.93 and 149.26 cM) in 4H bin 10 of Bowman backcross-derived line BW392 (1).
Fertile spikelets are shortened and the resulting kernels are nearly round or globe-shaped. Sterile lateral spikelets are 1/2 normal length and twisted (3). In the Bowman backcross-derived line for glo-a.1003, BW392, kernel length was much reduced and other spike tissues were reduced in length. Kernel weights were very low, 4.2 vs. 5.6 mg, and so were test weights. Compared to Bowman, BW392 plants were 10% shorter and peduncles were about 20% shorter. Awn length varied 1/3 to 2/3 of that for Bowman. The grain yield of BW392 averaged about 15% lower than that of Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Proctor (PI 280420) (1, 3).
glo-a.1003 (1343/63, GSHO 1328) in Proctor (PI 280420) (1, 2, 3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
glo-a.1003 (GSHO 1328) in Proctor; glo-a.1003 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2006, BW392, NGB 20630).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Fischbeck, G., and H. Häuser. 1976. Research notes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:28-29.
3. J.D. Franckowiak. (Unpublished).
4. Häuser, H., and G. Fischbeck. 1979. Genetic analysis of some induced mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:26-27.
5. Häuser, J., and G. Fischbeck. 1976. Untersuchungen zur Lokalisierung einiger Mutationen von Gerste (Hordeum sativum). Z. Pflanzenzücht. 77:269-280.
G. Fischbeck. 1978. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:152.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:194.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:115.