International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 55, Chlorina seedling 1, fch1
Stock number: BGS 55
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 1
Locus symbol: fch1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina seedling = f (6).
Light green = lg (5).
Light green 8 = lg8 (4).
Light green 10 = lg10 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5, 6).
Located in chromosome 2HS (3, 10); fch1.a is in the centromeric region and about 4.0 cM distal from the eog1 (elongated outer glume 1) locus (3, 7); fch1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_1493 to 2_0458 (positions 76.05 to 96.47 cM) in 2H bins 06 to 07 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW351 (1),
Seedling and immature leaves are very pale yellow-green (chlorophyll deficient) (6). The leaves gradually change to a green color beginning with the leaf tip. Plants can be grown to maturity in the field, but they have a slightly yellow-green color and are stunted easily by stress. Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line with fch1.p (BW351) headed about 10 days later than Bowman and were slightly shorter. Plants produced a few more kernels per spike and rachis internodes were slightly shorter. Kernels were 10 to 15% lighter and they were slightly shorter and thinner. Grain yields of BW351 were 1/2 to 2/3 of thoser of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Golden (Gull, NGB 1480, CIho 1145, GSHO 466) (6).
fch1.a (GSHO 112) in Gull (NGB 1480, CIho 1145, GSHO 466) (6, 9); fch1.p (lg) (Minn 80, GSHO 548) (5, 9); fch1.q (lg8) (No 155, GSHO 8) (4, 8); and fch1.r (lg10) (No 157, GSHO 154) in Himalaya (CIho 1312) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch1.p (GSHO 548) in Minn 84-7; fch1.p in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB22812)*9 (GSHO 1886, BW351, NGB 20690).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiology. Epubl. 2010 November 18, 2010 as DOI:10.1104/pp110.166249.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hallqvist, C. 1926. Koppelungen und synthetische Lethalität bei den Chlorophyllfaktoren der Gerste. Hereditas 8:229-254.
4. Haus, T.E. 1973. Allelism among light green, lg, seedling mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:17-18. 5. Immer, F.R., and M.T. Henderson. 1943. Linkage studies in barley. Genetics 28:419-420.
6. Nilsson-Ehle, H. 1922. Über freie Kombination und Koppelung verschiedener Chlorophyllerbeinheiten bei Gerste. Hereditas 3:191-199.
7. Robertson, D.W., G.W. Deming, and D. Koonce. 1932. Inheritance in barley. J. Agric. Res. 44:445-466.
8. Robertson, D.W., G.A. Wiebe, and R.G. Shands. 1947. A summary of linkage studies in barley: Supplement I, 1940-1946. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 39:464-473.
9. Tsuchiya, T. 1974. Allelism of f for chlorina and lg for light green (chlorina) in chromosome 2S in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:79.
10. Tsuchiya, T., and R.J. Singh. 1973. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:75-79.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:115.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:106.
J.D. Franckowiak and A. Hang. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:90.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:49-50.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:73-74...