International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 58, Six-rowed spike 1, vrs1.c = lr
Stock number: BGS 58
Locus name: Six-rowed spike 1
Locus symbol: vrs1.c = lr
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Reduced lateral spikelet appendage on the lemma = lr (3).
Reduced lateral spikelet appendage on the lemma = vlr (5).
An incomplete dominant in the multiple allelic series at the vrs1 (six-rowed spike 1) locus (1, 3, 5).
Located in chromosome 2HL (3); vrs1.c (lr) is about 15.4 cM distal from the Gth1 (toothed lemma 1) locus (6); 26.5 cM distal from the eog1 (elongated outer glume 1) locus (2).
The spike has long awns on the lemma of the central spikelet and awn-like appendages on the lemma of the lateral spikelets (1, 5). Lateral spikelets have perfect flowers and complete fertility. The lr trait is expressed only in six-rowed barley, and heterozygotes have a short awn on the lemma of lateral spikelets (3, 5). Since recombination with neither vrs1.a (v) nor Vrs1.b (V) alleles was observed (3, 5), the lr or vrs1.c phenotype is likely controlled by an allele at the vrs1 locus (5). The Bowman backcross-derived line for the vrs1.c gene has short, stiff awns on the central spikelets (about 1/3 normal length) and no awns on the lateral spikelets.
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in Nudihaxtoni (PI 32368) (1) and Bozu types of barley (4, 5).
vrs1.c (lr) (GSHO 153) in Hordeum intermedium var Nudihaxtoni (1).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
vrs1.c (lr) (GSHO 153) in Hordeum intermedium var Nudihaxtoni; vrs1.c in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1908, BW899, NGB 22331).
1. Glinyany, N.P. 1937. Inheritance of awns and furcas (hoods) in crosses between Hordeum vulgare var. Nudihaxtoni X Hordeum vulgare var. Trifurcatum. Bull. Appl. Bot., Genet. & Pl. Breed. II. 7:355-376. [In Russian with English summary.].
2. Immer, F.R., and M.T. Henderson. 1943. Linkage studies in barley. Genetics 28:419-440.
3. Leonard, W.H. 1942. Inheritance of reduced lateral spikelet appendages in the Nudihaxtoni variety of barley. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 34:211-221.
4. Takahashi, R., and J. Hayashi. 1982. Studies on classification and inheritance of barley varieties having awnless or short-awned lateral spikelets (Bozu barley). II. Mode of inheritance and spike characteristics of Bozu barley. Nogaku Kenyu 60:25-37. [In Japanese with English summary.].
5. Takahashi, R., J. Hayashi, I. Moriya, and S. Yasuda. 1982. Studies on classification and inheritance of barley varieties having awnless or short-awned lateral spikelets (Bozu barley). I. Variation of awn types and classification. Nogaku Kenyu 60:13-24. [In Japanese with English summary.]
6. Wexelsen, H. 1934. Quantitative inheritance and linkage in barley. Hereditas 18:307-308.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:118.
T. Konishi and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:94.