International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 263, Curly 3, cur3
Stock number: BGS 263
Locus name: Curly 3
Locus symbol: cur3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Curly 3 = cu3 (5).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosome 6HL (5); about 22.9 cM distal from the cul2 (uniculm 2) locus (4, 5); cur3.e is associated with SNP markers 2_0488 to 1_1147 (positions 119.40 to 137.78 cM) in 6H bins 07 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW222 (1), likely in 6H bin 08.
Stem internodes are curved in a bow-like manner and awns are slightly coiled (5). Seedlings elongate rapidly and leaves are nearly twice as long as normal. Seedlings homozygous for the cur3.e allele do not show additional elongation in response to gibberellic acid treatment (3). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cur3.e, BW222, had an open crown semi-prostrate early growth and were about 15% shorter than Bowman. Kernels of BW222 were slightly small and weighed 5 to 10% less. The grain yields of BW222 were about 3/4 those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) isolated by A. Yamashita (5).
cur3.e (OUM301, GSHO 1707) in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cur3.e (OUM301, GSHO 1707) in Akashinriki; cur3.e in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2087), in Bowman*7 (BW222, NGB 22049).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator's report: Semidwarf genes: A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
4. Hayashi, J., T. Konishi, I. Moriya, and R. Takahashi. 1984. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley VI. Ten mutant genes located on chromosomes 1 to 7, except 3. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 18:227-250.
5. Hayashi, J., R. Takahashi, I. Moriya, and T. Nobuoka. 1978. Linkage studies of two mutant genes on chromosomes 1 and 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:48-50.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:243.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:125.