International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 349, Brachytic 4, brh4
Stock number: BGS 349
Locus name: Brachytic 4
Locus symbol: brh4
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-j = brh.j (5, 6).
Monofactorial recessive (5, 6).
Located in chromosome 2HL (4); brh4.j is about 14.1 cM distal from SSR marker EBmac0850 in 2H bin 08 (1); brh4.j is associated with SNP markers 1_0837 to 2_1144 (positions 68.41 to 113.28 cM) in 2H bins 06 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW095 (2), likely in 3H bin 08.
Seedling leaves of brh4 plants are short and wide compared to those of Bowman. Plants are 3/4 to 5/6 normal height and awns are about 3/4 of normal length. Plants have a rather erect growth habit. Peduncle length is about 3/4 normal and rachis internodes are slightly shortened. Heading is delayed by about 2 days and the fertile spikelet number is increased by over 3, but these effects could be caused by pleiotropism or linkage drag with the Eam6 (early maturity 6) locus. The kernels of brh4 plants are slightly shorter (8.3 vs. 9.4 mm), more globose shaped, and slightly smaller (46 vs. 56 mg) than those of Bowman. The yield reduction was non-significant in comparisons between the brh4.j Bowman line and Bowman (1, 3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Birgitta (NGB 1494, NGB 14667, NSGC 1870) (7).
brh4.j (17:13:6, DWS1005, GSHO 1675) in Birgitta (NGB 1494, NGB 14667, NSGC 1870) (6, 7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh4.j (GSHO 1675) in Birgitta; brh4.j in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2130, BW095, NGB 20501).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
5. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
6. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
7. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:110.
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:262.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2012. Barley Genet. Newsl. 42:407.