International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 387, Desynapsis 8, des8
Stock number: BGS 387
Locus name: Desynapsis 8
Locus symbol: des8
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 3H (3); des8.l is associated with SNP markers 1_0281 to 2_0168 (positions 98.41 to 173.82 cM) in 3H bins 06 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW248 (1); des8.k is associated with SNP markers 1_1401 to 2_1493 (positions 89.73 to 161.43 cM) in 3H bins 06 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW247 (1). Both BW247 and BW248 also retained several SNP marker heterogeneities around SNP marker 2_0247 (position 159.73 cM) in 7H bin 11 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene. The degree of desynapsis was 7.9 ± 2.3, ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 14 univalents (d = 14). Many univalents split longitudinally during anaphase I. Lagging chromosomes and micronuclei were frequently observed at telophase I. Microspore quartets contained an average of 1.2 micronuclei per quartet with a range of 0 to 10. Ovule fertility was about 43% in the des8.k stock, but only about 1% in the des8.l stock (3). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des8.l, BW248, produced very little seed in most trials, but in one experiment grain yields were 3/4 those of Bowman. Kernels of BW248 were slightly longer than those of Bowman, but weighed about 10% less (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (4, 5).
des8.k (GSHO 599), des8.l in Betzes (PI 129430) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des8.k (GSHO 599) in Betzes; des8.k in Bowman*3 (BW247, NGB 22073); des8.l in Bowman*5 (BW248, NGB 22471).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M. 1973. Desynaptic mutants in Betzes barley. M.S. Thesis. Univ. of Arizona, Tucson.
4. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1971. Desynaptic genes in Betzes barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:38.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano, R.T. Ramage, and R.F. Eslick. 1973. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:131.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:335.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:151.