International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 228, Subcrown internode length 1, Sil1
Stock number: BGS 228
Locus name: Subcrown internode length 1
Locus symbol: Sil1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Subcrown internode = Sil (1).
Monofactorial incomplete dominant (1).
Located in chromosome 1H (4); Sil1.a is associated with the sls1 (small lateral spikelet 1) locus based on linkage drag (4); Sil1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_0259 to 1_0890 (positions 70.78 to 110.10 cM) in chromosome 1H bins 08 to 09 in the centromeric region of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW852 (2).
Plants have relatively short subcrown internodes, 0.0 to 1.0 cm, when planted 9 cm deep in vermiculite. Planting depth and subcrown internode length determine the position of the crown in relation to the soil surface (1). Plants with a deeper crown placement show higher levels of winter survival (5). In generating the Bowman backcross-derived line for Sil1.a (BW852), the Sil1 gene showed a dominant inheritance pattern. No other morphological effects for the Sil1.a gene were noted in Bowman backcross-derived line BW852 (3). When planted under cool fall conditions, short subcrown internodes are observed in many barley cultivars (3).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in NE 62203 (CIho 15542, GSHO 1604), a selection of unknown origin (1).
Sil1.a in winter six-rowed barley NE 62203 (CIho 15542, GSHO 1604) (1).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Sil1.a in NE 62203 (GSHO 1604); Sil1.a in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*5 (GSHO 2032); Sil1.a in Bowman*7 (BW852, NGB 22289).
1. Dofing, S.M., and J.W. Schmidt. 1984. Inheritance of subcrown internode length in a winter barley cross. Crop Sci. 24:692-694.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
5. Kail, R.M., B.J. Kalp, and K.E. Bohenenblust. 1972. Influence of temperature on crown depth development of winter barley. Crop Sci. 12:872-874.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:226.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:79.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:112.