International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 41, Brachytic 7, brh7
Stock number: BGS 41
Locus name: Brachytic 7
Locus symbol: brh7
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-w = brh.w (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 7H (2); brh7.w is associated with SNP markers 1_0299 to 1_0169 (positions 101.23 to 142.55 cM) in 7H bins 07 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW099 (2). Previously located in chromosome 5HS (1); approximately 4.6 cM proximal from SSR marker Bmac0113 in 5H bin 04 (1).
Plants are about 5/6 of normal height and awns are about 3/4 of normal length. The rachis internodes are slightly shorter than normal for Bowman. The seedling leaf of brh7 plants is short and wide and leaf blades are wider than those of normal sibs. The Bowman line with brh7 showed less lodging than Bowman. Although the kernels of brh7 plants seem plumper and more globose shaped than those from normal sibs, the primary difference is a 10 to 15% reduction in kernel length. Kernel weights and grain yields of the brh7 line are slightly lower than those of normal Bowman (1, 3).
Origin of mutant:
An induced mutant in Volla (PI 280423) (5).
brh7.w (GSHO 1687, 7101, DWS1211) in Volla (PI 280423) (5, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh7.w (GSHO 1687) in Volla; brh7.w in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1943, BW099, NGB 20505).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Gaul, H. 1986. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:81.
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:203.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2012. Barley Genet. Newsl. 42:98.