International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 107, White streak 1, wst1
Stock number: BGS 107
Locus name: White streak 1
Locus symbol: wst1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
White stripe = wst (5).
Stripe = st (3, 6).
White streak 3 = wst3 (8, 9, 10, 12, 13).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 6, 10).
Located in chromosome 3HL (5, 7, 9, 14); wst1.a is very close to the uzu1 (uzu 1) locus (3, 8, 9, 13); wst1.a is associated with SNP markers 2_0968 to 1_0584 (positions 46.19 to 178.12 cM) in 3H bins 04 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW910 (1); wst1.c with uzu1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_1258 to 2_0155 (positions 79.88 to 229.92 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 15 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW912 (1).
Very narrow white stripes are present in the leaves from the seedling stage until near maturity. Plants have nearly normal vigor (4). The size of the white sectors is variable from mutant to mutant, plant to plant, and leaf to leaf. All affected plants may produce albino seedlings among their selfed progeny with reported frequencies between 1.0 and 25.6% (9, 11). Albino seedlings have not been observed when wst1 plants were used as the male parent in crosses (9, 11). Caldecott's streak has wider and larger white sectors and produces a higher frequency of albino seedlings (11). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for wst1.a, BW910, headed 3 to 4 days later and were slightly shorter, but the awns were slightly longer. The kernels of BW910 were slightly narrower, 3.7 vs. 3.9, and lighter than the Bowman kernels in many trials. The test weights and grain yields for BW910 were slightly reduced (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in an unknown cultivar (3, 8, 11); a radiation induced mutant (8, 9, 10, 11, 12).
wst1.a (USDA 163, GSHO 159, CIho 11767) in an unknown cultivar (4); wst1.c (OUL074, GSHO 569) in Akashinriki (PI 467400, OUJ659) (9, 10, 11, 12); wst1.e in Himalaya (GSHO 278, Caldecott's streak) (10, 14); wst1.f (Grandpa fine stripe) in an unknown cultivar (CIho 6856, GSHO 854), wst1.g in CIho 6758 (GSHO 314) (10); wst1.h in CIho 11766 (GSHO 797) (4, 10); wst1.i in Moravian (PI 537135) (10).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
wst1.a (GSHO 159, CIho 11767) in an unknown cultivar; wst1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 1966); wst1.a in Bowman*7 (BW910, NGB 22341); wst1.c with uzu1.a (OUL074, GSHO 569) from Akashinriki (PI 467400, OUJ659) in Bowman*8 (GSHO 1967, BW912, NGB 22343).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Kasha, K.J., and G.W.R. Walker. 1960. Several recent barley mutants and their linkages. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 2:397-415.
4. Robertson, D.W. 1967. Linkage studies of various barley mutations (Hordeum species). Crop Sci. 7:41-42.
5. Robertson, D.W. 1971. Recent information of linkage and chromosome mapping p.220-242. In R.A. Nilan (ed.) Barley Genetics II. Proc. Second Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Pullman, WA, 1969. Washington State Univ. Press, Pullman.
6. Robertson, D.W., G.A. Wiebe, R.G. Shands, and A. Hagberg. 1965. A summary of linkage studies in cultivated barley, Hordeum species: Supplement III, 1954-1963. Crop Sci. 5:33-43.
7. Singh, R.J., and T. Tsuchiya. 1974. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:66-69.
8. Takahashi, R. 1972. Information of linkage and mapping of genes on chromosome 3. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:127-131.
9. Takahashi, R., and I. Moriya. 1969. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. IV. Linkages of four variegated mutants. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 15:35-46.
10. Tsuchiya, T. 1972. Allelism testing of various mutations in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:80-87.
11. Tsuchiya, T. 1976. Variation in the diagnostic character expression in five white streaked mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:76-77.
12. Tsuchiya, T., and T.E. Haus. 1973. Allelism testing in barley. I. Analysis of ten mapped genes. J. Hered. 64:282-284.
13. Tsuchiya, T., and D.A. Jensen. 1973. Further results on the allelic relationship between wst and wst3. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:69-70.
14. Tsuchiya, T., and R.J. Singh. 1973. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:75-79.
T. Tsuchiya and T.E. Haus. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:129.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:110.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:141-142.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:97-98.