International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 93, Erectoides-zd, ert-zd
Stock number: BGS 93
Locus name: Erectoides-zd
Locus symbol: ert-zd
Revised locus symbol:
The ert-zd.159 mutant is one of the alleles at the ari-o.40 (Breviaristatum-o) (1). Other alleles at previously named loci include ert-u.56 (Erectoides-u, BGS 92), brh14.q (Brachytic 14, BGS 148), and brh16.v (Brachytic 16, BGS 44) (1). See BGS 556 for more information on the alleles at the ari-o locus.
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-159 = ert-159 (6).
Brachytic 7 = br7 (8).
Monofactorial recessive (6).
Located in chromosome 7HL (1, 2); ert-zd.159 is associated with SNP markers 1_0547 (about position 228 cM) in 7H bin 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW333 (2). ert-u.56 is an allele at the HvDIM locus located in chromosome 7H at position 138.2 cM (1). Previously located in chromosome 2H, based on linkage drag with the Gth1 (Toothed lemma 1) locus (4).
Plants have a brachytic-like pattern of growth and are about 3/4 normal height (3, 8). Plants of Bowman backcross-derived line for mutant ert-zd.159, BW333, were 10 to 20% shorter than Bowman and the awns were about 3 cm shorter. Rachis internode lengths were slightly shorter and kernels were slightly wider compared to those of Bowman. Kernel weights for BW333 varied from slightly more to 15% less. Grain yields varied from 1/3 to 1/2 those for Bowman (5). As with other mutants at the ari-o locus, ert-zd.159 shows a brassinosteroid-deficient phenotype that includes a short culm, about 70% of normal, caused largely by an extreme shortening of the second culm internode (1). Other common traits include shorter rachis internodes, short awns, acute leaf angles, slightly undulating leaf margins, and a slightly elongated basal rachis internode (1). The six Bowman backcross-derived lines with a mutation at the ari-o or HvDIM locus, ari-o.40, brh14.af, brh14.q, brh16.v, ert-u.56, and ert-zd.159, have retained a small, common genetic donor parent interval (1). The sequence of HvDIM, encoding the barley Δ5-sterol-Δ24-reductase DIMINUTO, corresponds directly to single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) marker 1_0547 located in the telomere on the long arm of chromosome 7H (1).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (6).
ert-zd.159 (NGB 112758, GSHO 504) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-zd.159 (NGB 112758; GSHO 504) in Bonus; ert-zd.159 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1901, BW333, NGB 22128).
1. Dockter, C., D. Gruszka, I, Braumann, A. Druka, I. Druka, J. Franckowiak, S.P. Gough, A. Janeczko, M. Kurowska, J. Lundqvist, U. Lundqvist, M. Marzec, I. Matyszczak, A.H. Müller, J. Oklestkova, B. Schulz, S, Zakhrabekova, and M. Hansson. 2014. Induced variations in brassinosteroid genes define barley height and sturdiness, and expand the green revolution genetic toolkit. Plant Physiol. 166:1912-1927.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
5. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
6. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
7. The International Barley Genome Sequencing Consortium. 2012. A physical, genetic and functional sequence assembly of the barley genome. Nature 491:711-716.
8. Tsuchiya, T. 1976. Allelism testing of genes between brachytic and erectoides mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:79-81.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:132.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:91.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:102-103.