International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 522, Eceriferum-yi, cer-yi
Stock number: BGS 522
Locus name: Eceriferum-yi
Locus symbol: cer-yi
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 2H (1); cer-yi.254 is associated with SNP markers 1_0326 to 1_1533 (positions 16.91 to 141.56 cM) in 2H bins 01 to 10 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW140 (1).
Surface wax coating on the leaf blade appears absent (wax code ++ ++ -) (4). Plants of line Bowman backcross-derived line containing cer-yi.254, BW140, headed over one day later than Bowman, had 2 or 3 more kernels per spike, and kernels were slightly shorter and lighter. Grain yields were slightly lower than those of Bowman (2). During development of the line BW140, slightly reduced fertility was observed in F1 plants (2). Since the SNP markers retained BW140 involve a large portion of 2HL (1), the cer-yi.254 mutant may include an inversion (1, 2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (3).
cer-yi.254 (NGB 111141, GSHO 1542) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333), -yi.1353 (NGB 112241) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-yi.254 (NGB 111141, GSHO 1542) in Foma; cer-yi.254 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2213); cer-yi.254 in Bowman*4 (BW140, NGB 20546).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1982. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VI. Barley Genet. Newsl. 12:169-172.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:449.
U. Lundqvist and J. D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:180.