International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 521, Mottled leaf 1, mtt1
Stock number: BGS 521
Locus name: Mottled leaf 1
Locus symbol: mtt1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Mottled leaves = mt (5).
Mottled leaves 3 = mt3 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosome 1H (4); mtt1.a is based on linkage drag near the sls1.a (small lateral spikelet 1) locus (3); mtt1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_0760 to 2_0229 (positions 52.84 to 106.61 cM) in 1H bins 05 to10 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW600 (1), likely in 1H bin 08.
Seedlings have two to four clearly marked white bands across or partially across the leaves. Necrosis of the white region occurs later and the leaf is constricted in these regions. Temperatures at germination over 20C reduce the extent of mottling. Plant mortality is low at Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where temperatures are low, but nearly 100% at St. Paul, Minnesota, USA (4). Heading of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW600 was delayed by about 6 days, plants were approximately 10% shorter, and grain yields were 15 to 30% of normal. Compared to Bowman, kernels of BW600 were slightly shorter and narrower and kernel weights were 10 to 30% lower (2).
Origin of mutant:
An induced mutant in Montcalm (CIho 7149) (4).
mtt1.a (mt) (Alb Acc 284, OUM070, GSHO 622) in Montcalm (CIho 7149) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
mtt1.a (OUM070, GSHO 622) in Montcalm; mtt1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (GSHO 2036); mtt1.a in Bowman*7 (BW600, NGB 22166).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Kasha, K.J., and G.W.R. Walker. 1960. Several recent barley mutants and their linkages. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 2:397-415.
5. Walker, G.W.R., K. Kasha, and R.A. Miller. 1958. Recombination studies in barley. Proc. Genet. Soc. Can. 3:41-43.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:448.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:179.