International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 405, Eceriferum-k, cer-k
Stock number: BGS 405
Locus name: Eceriferum-k
Locus symbol: cer-k
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 4HL (1); cer-k.39 is associated with SNP markers 1_0387 to 1_1019 (positions 179.78 to 183.54 cM) in 4H bins 12 to 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW115 (1). cer-k.39 is previously located in 7HS, based on a linkage drag association with the ant1 (anthocyanin-less 1) locus (3).
Surface wax coating on the spike is slightly reduced compared to the parent (wax code + ++ ++) (4). In the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-k.39, BW115, leaf blades and kernels appeared slightly thinner compared to those of Bowman (2). BW115 plants headed 5 to 10 days later than Bowman and were slightly shorter, but they had up to 5 more kernels per spike. Kernel weights of BW115 were 10 to 15% lower and grain yields were about 75% of the Bowman yields (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4).
cer-k.39 (NGB 110923, GSHO 432) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-k.39 (NGB 110923, GSHO 432) in Bonus; cer-k.39 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 1837); cer-k.39 in Bowman*7 (BW115, NGB 20521).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1962. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 48:342-362.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:123.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:354.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:160.