International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 407, Eceriferum-m, cer-m
Stock number: BGS 407
Locus name: Eceriferum-m
Locus symbol: cer-m
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Location in chromosomes 1HL or 3HL (1); cer-m.15 is based on SNP markers retained in the Bowman backcross-derived line BW117 for cer-m.15, between 2_0229 to 2_1126 (positions 106.61 to 110.10 cM) in 1H bin 10 and between 1_0918 and 1_1172 (positions 187.28 to 190.87 cM) in 3H bin 12 (1).
Surface wax coating on the spike appears reduced or normal, and the wax coating on the leaf sheath and stem is reduced (wax code +/++ + ++) (3, 5). The mutant is a semidwarf (3/4 to 5/6 of normal height) and may be semi-sterile (25 to 50% seed set) (3). Rachis internodes of plants in Bowman backcross-derived line BW117 plants were slightly shorter than those of Bowman. The number of kernels per spike for BW117 was 4 or 6 fewer than for Bowman. Kernel weights and test weights were 10 to 20% lower. Seed yields of BW117 were about 1/3 of those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3).
cer-m.15 (NGB 110899, GSHO 434) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3, 4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-m.15 ( NGB 110899, GSHO 434) in Bonus; cer-m.15 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2192, BW117, NGB 20523).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1962. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 48:342-362.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
5. Lundqvist, U., P. von Wettstein-Knowles, and D. von Wettstein. 1968. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. II. Hereditas 59:473-504.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:125.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:356.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:161.