International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 409, Eceriferum-o, cer-o
Stock number: BGS 409
Locus name: Eceriferum-o
Locus symbol: cer-o
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 1HL (1); cer-o.28 is associated with SNP markers 2_0229 to 1_0006 (positions 106.61 to 110.10 cM) in 1H bin 10 of the Bowman backcrossed-derived line BW119 (1), in 1H bin 10.
Surface wax coating on the spike appears absent or reduced (wax code -/+ ++ ++) (3). All cer-o mutants have pointed lateral spikelets and semi-sterility (50 to 75% seed set). Mutant segregates in the Bowman backcross-derived progenies were about 3/4 of normal height and had spikes with about 20% fewer fertile rachis nodes. Plants of Bowman backcross-derived line BW119 headed about two days later than Bowman and were about 15% shorter. Kernel weights were 10-15% lower and grain yields were about half those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A gamma-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (1).
cer-o.28 (NGB 110912, GSHO 436) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3, 4); cer-o.687 (NGB 111575), -o.787 (NGB 11675) in Bonus (5); cer-o.251 (NGB 111138) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333), -o.1144 (NGB 112032) in Kristina (NGB 1500, NGB 14661) (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-o.28 (NGB 110912, GSHO 436) in Bonus; cer-o.28 in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 2193); cer-o.28 in Bowman*7 (BW119, NGB 20525).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiology. Epubl. 2010 November 18, 2010 as DOI:10.1104/pp110.166249.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1962. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 48:342-362.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
6. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1982. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VI. Barley Genet. Newsl. 12:169-172.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:127.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:359.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:106.