International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 654, Brachytic 11, brh11
Stock number: BGS 654
Locus name: Brachytic 11
Locus symbol: brh11
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-n = brh.n (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 5HS (1); brh11.n is about 6.7 cM proximal from SSR marker Bmac0113 in 5H bin 04 (1); brh11.n is associated with SNP markers 1_0688 to 2_1121 (positions 52.12 to 105.90 cM) in 5H bins 03 to 06 and with SNP markers 2_0062 to 2_1151 (positions 51.44 to 78.94 cM) in 4H bins 06 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW082 (2).
Plants are 2/3 to 3/4 normal height and peduncles are 3/4 to 5/6 normal length. The length of the rachis internodes is about 3/4 as long as those of normal sibs. Seedling leaves of brh11.n plants are relatively short (1, 3). Kernels of the Bowman backcrossed-derived line brh11.n, BW082 were shorter (7.2 vs. 9.6 mm) and about 25% (4.6 vs 5.7 mg) lighter than those of Bowman. BW082 plants have an erect growth habit and grain yields averaged less than 1/2 of those for Bowman (1, 3). Rachis internodes of BW082 were shorter, 3.4 vs. 4.5 mm. Also, peduncles were shorter. 22 vs. 30 cm, and awns were slightly shorter. BW082 plants headed 2 to 4 days later than Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (6).
brh11.n (17:19:2, DWS1011, GSHO 1679) in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh11.n (GSHO 1679) in Birgitta; brh11.n in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2172, BW082, NGB 20489).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendrarnin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:294.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:232.