International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 653, Brachytic 10, brh10
Stock number: BGS 653
Locus name: Brachytic 10
Locus symbol: brh10
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-l = brh.l (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 2HS (1); brh10.l is approximately 12.9 cM distal from SSR marker Bmac0850 in 2H bin 08 (1); brh10.l is associated with SNP markers 1_1054 to 2_0960 (positions 83.83 to 120.83 cM) in 2H bins 06 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW081 (2).
Plants are about 3/4 normal height and peduncles are over 3/4 normal length. Awns are about 3/4 of normal length. Rachis internodes are slightly shorter than those of normal sibs, but the number of fertile rachis nodes is increased by over 2. Seedling leaves of brh10.l plants are relatively short (1, 3). Kernels of the Bowman backcross-derived line for brh10.l, BW081, were shorter (7.9 vs. 9.6 mm) and 10 to 20% lighter than those of Bowman. BW081 plants showed an erect growth habit and grain yields averaged 20% less than those of Bowman (1, 3). Awns of BW081 were slightly shorter, 8 vs. 11 cm beyond terminal kernel, and rachis internodes were shorter, 3.7 vs.4.5 mm. BW081 plants headed 2 to 4 days later than Bowman and had 2 to 3 more kernels per spike (3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (6).
brh10.l (17:15:2, DWS1007, GSHO 1677) in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (5, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh10.l (GSHO 1677) in Birgitta; brh10.l in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2171); brh10.l in Bowman*8 (BW081, NGB 20488).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendrarnin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:293.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:231.