International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 655, Brachytic 12, brh12
Stock number: BGS 655
Locus name: Brachytic 12
Locus symbol: brh12
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-o = brh.o (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 5HS (1); brh12.o is approximately 13.5 cM distal from SSR marker Bmag0387 in 5H bin 03 (1); brh12.o is associated with SNP markers 1_1198 to 2_1244 (positions 73.70 to 91.0 cM) in 5H bins 04 to 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW083 (2).
Plants are 2/3 to 3/4 of normal height. Awns and peduncles are about 3/4 normal length. The length of the rachis internodes is about 3/4 of normal sibs. Seedling leaves of brh12.o plants are relatively short (1, 3). Kernels of the Bowman backcrossed-derived line for brh12, BW083, were shorter (7.9 vs. 9.6 mm) and about 20% lighter than those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW083 averaged slightly more than 1/2 of those for Bowman (1, 3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (6).
brh12.o (17:20:2, DWS1012, GSHO 1680) in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (5, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh12.o (GSHO 1680) in Birgitta; brh12.o in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2173, BW083, NGB 20490).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, j. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendrarnin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:295.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:233.