International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 186, Slender dwarf 3, sld3
Stock number: BGS 186
Locus name: Slender dwarf 3
Locus symbol: sld3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Anthocyanin-free = ant-567 (6).
Proanthocyanidin-free 17.567 = ant17.567 (5).
Slender dwarf e = sld.e (4).
Monofactorial recessive (2).
Located in chromosome 4HS (3); sld3.e showed linkage drag with the int-c intermedium spike-c) locus (3); sld3.e is associated with SNP markers 1_0208 to 2_0777 (positions 5.24 to 40.15 cM) in chromosome 4H bins 01 to 04 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW863 (1).
The mutant gene sld3.e was isolated as a second mutant in the stock ant17.567 (proanthocyanidin-free 17) (2). Plants show reduced vigor and are about 3/4 normal height. The number of spikelets per spike is about 3/4 that of normal sibs and kernels are slightly smaller. Rachis internodes can be slightly longer and grain yields are about 3/4 of normal. The Bowman backcross-derived line with sld3.e (BW863) did not show a reduction in anthocyanin pigmentation or a large reduction in kernel size (2). Plants of BW863 were about 10% shorter than Bowman, and peduncles were about 20% shorter. Rachis nodes were slightly longer, and kernels per spike can be reduced up to 20% in some environments. Kernels were slightly shorter and thinner than those of Bowman, and seed weights were 10 to 15% less. Grain yields were slightly reduced compared to those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant isolated with ant17.567 in Manker (CIho 15549) (6).
sld3.e (ant17.567, DWS1050 GSHO 2480) in Manker (CIho 15549) (2).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
sld3.e (GSHO 2480) in Bowman/ant17.567; sld3.e in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*7 (GSHO 1998, BW863, NGB 22300).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1999. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 29:74-79.
5 Jende-Strid, B. 1988. Coordinator's report: Anthocyanin genes. Stock list of ant mutants kept at the Carlsberg Laboratory. Barley Genet. Newsl. 18:74-79.
6. Ullrich, S.E. 1983. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:101.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:243.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:63-64.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:97-98.