International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 500, Male sterile genetic 37, msg37
Stock number: BGS 500
Locus name: Male sterile genetic 37
Locus symbol: msg37
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Male sterile hl = msg,,hl (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 3HL most likely (1), msg37.jx is associated with SNP markers 3_1220 (position 182.97 cM) in 3H bin 12 in the homozygous partially sterile Bowman backcross-derived line BW573; msg37.hl is associated with SNP markers 2_0797 to 1_1516 (positions 5.45 to 249.75 cM) in 3H bins 01 to 16, plus SNP markers in all other chromosomes, in a heterozygous plant from Bowman backcross-derived line BW970 (1).
Selfing - none to 6% or more (4), the degree of selfing seems sensitive to environmental conditions, favored by cool conditions (3).
Outcrossing - complete female fertility (4).
Stamens - anthers shrunken, no stomium or filament elongation (3) to nearly normal (4).
The level of self-fertility in msg37.hl and msg37.jx plants gradually increased as more backcrosses to Bowman were made. The level of self-fertility approached 80% in BW573, a selection with the msg37.jx allele from the sixth backcross to Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Clermont (PI 343724) (4).
msg37.hl (MSS465, GSHO 2389) in Clermont (PI 343724) (2, 4); msg37.jx (MSS529, GSHO 2389) in a dwarf mutant 17:17:2 (sdw.ax, DWS1009, GSHO 2437) selected from Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (2, 4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
msg37.hl (GSHO 2389) in Clermont; msg37.hl in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (BW970, NGB 24149); msg37.jx (GSHO 2437) from Birgitta; msg37.jx in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2303, BW573). (The BW573 seed stock is maintained as homozygous for the msg37.jx allele).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D., and E.A. Hockett. 1988. Identification of three new loci which control male sterility of barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 18:11-13.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Hockett, E.A. 1984. Coordinator's report. The genetic male sterile barley collection. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:70-75.
5. Hockett, E.A. 1988. New mutants in the genetic male sterile barley collection. Barley Genet. Newsl. 18:70-73.
E.A. Hockett. 1991. Barley Genet. Newsl. 20:104.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:426.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:186.