International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 77, Short culm 1, hcm1
Stock number: BGS 77
Locus name: Short culm 1
Locus symbol: hcm1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Short culm = h (6).
Short stature = u (1).
Monofactorial recessive (1, 2, 5, 6).
Located in chromosome 2HL (2); hcm1.a is about 8.1 cM distal from the eog1 (elongated outer glume 1) locus (5); hcm1.a is closely linked in repulsion to the Gth1 (Toothed lemma 1) allele (5).
Plants homozygous for the hcm1.a allele average about 10 cm shorter than normal sibs. [Robertson et al. (4) assumed that the gene referred to as "uzu" by Miyake and Imai (1) and linked to six-rowed spike type (2, 3, 5, 6) were all the same, but allelism tests were conducted.] Linkage of the hcm1.a allele to the vrs1.a (six-rowed spike 1) allele is evident in many crosses of six- and two-rowed barley. The F1's are taller than either parent and nearly all short segregates have a six-rowed spike. A slight increase in spike density (shorter rachis internodes) is observed in both homozygotes and heterozygotes when the hcm1.a allele is present. [The Eam1 (early maturity 1) gene in Triple Bearded Mariout (BGS 57) makes the study of hcm1.a in certain environments difficult; therefore, changes in the seed stock and BGS number are recommended.]
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in many six-rowed barley cultivars.
hcm1.a in Triple Bearded Mariout (CIho 2523, GSHO 29) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
hcm1.a in Morex (CIho 15773, GSHO 2492); hcm1.a is likely present in Bowman (PI 483237).
1. Miyake, K., and Y. Imai. 1922. [Genetic studies in barley. 1.] Bot. Mag., Tokyo 36:25-38. [In Japanese.]
2. Neatby, R.W. 1929. An analysis of the inheritances of quantitative characters and linkage in barley. Sci. Agric. 9:701-718.
3. Powers, L. 1936. The nature of the interaction of genes affecting four quantitative characters in a cross between Hordeum deficiens and vulgare. Genetics 21:398-420.
4. Robertson, D.W., G.A. Wiebe, and F.R. Immer. 1941. A summary of linkage studies in barley. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 33:47-64.
5. Swenson, S.P., and D.G. Wells. 1944. The linkage relation of four genes in chromosome 1 of barley. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 36:429-435.
6. Tedin, H., and O. Tedin. 1926. Contributions to the genetics of barley. I. Type of spike, nakedness and height of plant. Hereditas 7:151-160.
T.E. Haus. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:102 as BGS 57, Short culm, h.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:115.