International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 511, Reaction to Puccinia graminis 1 (wheat stem rust), Rpg1
Stock number: BGS 511
Locus name: Reaction to Puccinia graminis 1 (wheat stem rust)
Locus symbol: Rpg1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Resistance to Puccinia graminis tritici = T (8).
Resistance to Puccinia graminis Pers f sp tritici Eriks & E Henn = Rpg1a (4).
Monofactorial dominant (8).
Located in chromosome 7HS (2, 3, 8); about 13.2 cM distal to the brh1 (brachytic 1) locus (3, 12); about 9.2 cM distal from the Run1 (reaction to Ustilago nuda 1) locus (2); about 1.4 cM distal from the Run1 locus (13); 0.7 cM from RFLP marker ABG077 (5).
The dominant allele at the Rpg1 locus confers moderate resistance to most races of Puccinia graminis f sp tritici. Lesion size and percent stem and leaf sheath infection in adult plants is reduced compared with susceptible plants under field conditions (10, 11). At high temperatures (greater than 20ºC), differentiation of seedling reaction types is observed with race 56 (10). These differences correlate with adult plant reactions better than at lower temperatures (9). Differences among cultivars indicate that a modifier of the Rpg1.e allele exists (9). Plants with the Rpg1 gene show a susceptible reaction to pathotype QCC of Puccinia graminis f sp tritici (6) and to Puccinia graminis f sp secalis (16). Molecular markers closely linked to the three different sources of the Rpg1 gene suggest that they originated independently (5). The Rpg1 region of chromosome 5HS shows synteny to the short arm of rice chromosome 6 (7).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in Chevron (CIho 1111) and Peatland (CIho 5276) (10); a spontaneous mutant isolated from Wisconsin Pedigree 37 as Kindred (CIho 6969) (1).
Rpg1.a in Chevron (CIho 1111, GSHO 701) (5, 12); Rpg1.e in Peatland (CIho 5276), Rpg1.f in Kindred (CIho 6969) (5, 14).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Rpg1.a in Chevron (GSHO 701, CIho 1111); Rpg1.a in 80-TT-29 (CIho 16129) (15); Rpg1.e from Peatland in Bowman (PI 483237).
1. Åberg, E., and G.A. Wiebe. 1946. Classification of barley varieties grown in the United States and Canada in 1945. USDA Tech. Bull. No. 907. 190 p.
2. Andrews, J.E. 1956. Inheritance of reaction to loose smut, Ustilago nuda, and to stem rust, Puccinia graminis tritici, in barley. Can. J. Agric. Sci. 36:356-370.
3. Brookins, W.W. 1940. Determination of linkage relationships of factors differentiating reaction to stem rust in barley crosses. Ph.D. Thesis. Univ. of Minnesota, St. Paul.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1991. BGS 511, Resistance to Puccinia graminis Pers. f. sp. tritici Eriks. & E. Henn., Rpg1a. Barley Genet. Newsl. 20:115.
5. Horvath, D.P., L.S. Dahleen, J.A. Stebbing, and G. Penner. 1995. A co-dominant PCR-based marker for assisted selection of durable stem rust resistance in barley. Crop Sci. 35:1445-1450.
6. Jin, Y., B.J. Steffenson, and T.G. Fetch, Jr. 1994. Sources of resistance to pathotype QCC of Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici in barley. Crop Sci. 34:285-288.
7. Kilan, A., D.A. Kudrna, A. Kleinhofs, M. Yano, N. Kurata, B. Steffenson, and T. Sasaki. 1995. Rice-barley synteny and its application to saturation mapping of the barley Rpg1 region. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:2729-2733.
8. Kramer, H.H., R. Veyl, and W.D. Hanson. 1954. The association of two genetic linkage groups in barley with one chromosome. Genetics 39:159-168.
9. Miller, J.D., and J.W. Lambert. 1955. Variability and inheritance of reaction of barley to race 15B of stem rust. Agron. J. 47:373-377.
10. Patterson, F.L. 1951. Adult plant and seedling reactions of barley varieties and hybrids to 3 races of Puccinia graminis tritici. Ph.D. Thesis. Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison.
11. Powers, L., and L. Heines. 1933. Inheritance of reaction to stem rust and barbing of awns in barley crosses. J. Agric. Res. 46:1121-1129.
12. Shands, R.G. 1939. Chevron, a barley variety resistant to stem rust and other diseases. Phytopathology 29:209-211.
13. Shands, R.G. 1964. Inheritance and linkage to stem rust and loose smut resistance and starch type in barley. Phytopathology 54:308-316.
14. Steffenson, B.J. 1992. Analysis of durable resistance to stem rust in barley. Euphytica 63:153-167.
15. Steffenson, B.J., and R.D. Wilcoxson. 1987. Receptivity of barley to Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici. Can. J. Plant Path. 9:36-40.
16. Steffenson, B.J., R.D. Wilcoxson, and A.P. Roelfs. 1985. Resistance of barley to Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici and Puccinia graminis f. sp. secalis. Phytopathology 75:1108-1111.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1991. Barley Genet. Newsl. 20:115.
J.D. Franckowiak and B.J. Steffenson. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:437-438.