International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 564, Erectoides-p, ert-p
Stock number: BGS 564
Locus name: Erectoides-p
Locus symbol: ert-p
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-44 = ert-44 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located likely in chromosome 5HL (1); ert-p.44 is associated with SNP markers from 2_1480 to 2_1390 (positions 137.96 to ≈173.0 cM) in 5H bins 08 to 10 and with SNP markers in small regions from 2_1370 to 1_1486 (positions 199.54 to 202.70 cM) in 2H bin 13 and from 2_0607 to 1_0863 (positions 52.41 to 64.85 cM) in 3H bins 04 to 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW320 (1).
Spikes are semicompact with an estimated rachis internode length of 2.7 mm, and the culm length is 5/6 of normal (5). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-p.44 (BW320) had shorter rachis internodes, 3.8 vs 4.6 mm, and were 10% shorter. Kernels of BW320 were slightly shorter and wider, however grain yields did not differ from those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3, 5).
ert-p.44 (NGB 112644, GSHO 490) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3); ert-p.116 (NGB 112715), -p.117 (NGB 112716) in Bonus, -p.301 (NGB 112818), -p.370 (NGB 112886), -p.501 (NGB 113017) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-p.44 (NGB 112644, GSHO 490) in Bonus; ert-p.44 in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*5 (GSHO 2255); ert-p.44 in Bowman*6 (BW320, NGB 22115).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523-530.
4. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
5. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:490.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:164.