International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 201, Chlorina seedling 7, fch7
Stock number: BGS 201
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 7
Locus symbol: fch7
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina seedling 7 = f7 (3).
Chlorina seedling 7 = clo-f7f7 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 1HL (3); fch7.h is about 4.7 cM proximal from the trd1 (third outer glume 1) locus and about 22.7 cM distal from the Blp1 (Black lemma and pericarp 1) locus (3); fch7.h is associated with SNP markers 1_0911 to 1_1481 (positions 177.51 to 186.13 cM) in 1H bin 13 of Bowman backcross-derived line BW363 (1); likely in 1H bin 13.
Seedlings are light green and remain light green until near maturity (3). Plant vigor and seed yields are reduced, and developmental stages are delayed. Heading of plants in the Bowman backcross-derived line BW363 was delayed by up to 9 days compared to Bowman, but plant height was normal in most environments. Kernel weights were reduced by about 10% and grain yields were 85 to 95% of normal (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Smyrna (PI 7969) (3).
fch7.h (Smyrna II, GSHO 4) in Smyrna (3); fch7.i (Smyrna III) in Smyrna (PI 7969) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch7.h (GSHO 4) in Smyrna; fch7.h in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2058, BW363, NGB 20602).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Robertson, D.W. 1969. Linkage studies with five naturally occurring chlorophyll mutations in barley (Hordeum species). Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 9:321-326.
4. Simpson, D.J., and D. von Wettstein. 1992. Coordinator's report: Nuclear genes affecting the chloroplast. Stock list of mutants kept at the Carlsberg Laboratory. Barley Genet, Newsl. 21:102-108.
5. Tsuchiya, T. 1972. Allelism testing of various mutations in barley. Barley Genet, Newsl. 2:80-87.
T.E. Haus and T. Tsuchiya. 1971. Barley Genet, Newsl. 1:146
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet, Newsl. 10:120.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet, Newsl. 26:206.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:113.